Looking for an invoice template? We have an invoice template for you for Word or Excel that you can download for free. Simply download and adapt to suit your needs!
Download our invoice templates for Word or Excel for free
Our invoice templates can be customized as desired and then filled out and printed or saved as a PDF. We will provide you with an example of an invoice for Excel and Word.
Writing an invoice in Switzerland: mandatory information
In order for both you and the invoice recipient to be able to meet tax obligations, your invoices should meet certain formal requirements. According to the Swiss SME Portal, the following information must be included on invoices in Switzerland:
- Invoice number
- Invoice date
- Delivery date or date of performance (if not identical to invoice date)
- Your address
- Address of the recipient
- Your VAT number
- Invoice amount (incl. VAT amount and rate)
- Description of the delivery or service
- If you are a small business with an annual turnover of less than CHF 100,000, you are generally not subject to VAT and do not have to show VAT or your VAT ID on your invoices.
- In addition to the mandatory information, you should provide your payment information (e.g., account number or IBAN) as well as the payment term.
With the following tips, you can further optimise your invoicing and get paid faster:
- The statutory payment term in Switzerland is 30 days. However, you can also define shorter payment terms on your invoices (such as 10 or 14 days) to improve your liquidity. Keep in mind that the payment term should also be realistic for your customers.
- Don't wait too long to send your invoice. It is best to send invoices as soon as possible after you have provided the service.
- If you issue invoices regularly, or issue a lot of them, it is worth switching to software because many processes can be automated, and errors can be avoided.
- Discounts for early payments support good payment ethics and can encourage customers to pay invoices faster.
- Send payment reminders if payment terms are not met. In bexio, payment reminders and dunning letters can be sent fully automatically once the payment term has expired.
- Create your invoices with a QR payment section. QR invoices can be paid very easily and quickly by your customers – all they have to do is scan the QR code with their smartphone to transfer the payment information to their e-banking. In bexio, the QR payment section is automatically created with each invoice.
Should you use special software instead of Word or Excel templates?
If you spend a lot of time creating invoices, it may be worthwhile to try out specialized invoicing software as an alternative to using Excel or Word: With the right tool, you can have fun drafting invoices, even after a long and tiring day of work!
With bexio, you can generate, fill out, and then send out your invoices almost automatically, with just one click. Do everything online in your bexio account. It is simple, clear, and automated.
|Tasks||With Word/Excel templates||With bexio|
|Generate the invoice|
|File the invoice||Manual||Automatic|
Post the invoice
Check for receipt of payment
|Send a payment reminder notice when required||Manual||Automatic|